Silicon Legal Strategy is a boutique law firm providing targeted, bottom-line-oriented advice to technology startups, innovative entrepreneurs and seasoned investors. Silicon Legal opened its doors in late 2007 with one lawyer and a part-time paralegal. Headcount is now approaching 50 and we’ve opened offices in Los Angeles and Denver. We’ve built some very solid relationships and our prospects for further growth are incredibly strong.
Our clients are thriving in this environment as well. Over the past five years, we advised clients in over 2,000 VC/Angel financings and 125 acquisitions. Dozens of clients have been profiled in Forbes, Inc Magazine, The New York Times, Billboard Magazine, The Wall Street Journal, USA, Today and on Good Morning America and the Today Show. Our clients are doing deals with Amazon, Facebook, eBay, Paramount Pictures, Adobe, MTV, American Express, Universal Music and others. On the investor side, we represent over 50 prominent VCs and angel investors. We are consistently across the table from Silicon Valley’s powerhouse law firms.
We have an immediate opening for a full-time Corporate Managing Associate.
- Minimum of 4+ years of recent and direct corporate law experience (preferably in a large Silicon Valley/corporate law firm);
- Possess excellent communication/organizational skills and diligent attention to detail;
- Have dedication to responsive client service and a passion for working with entrepreneurs;
- Are confident/self-assured;
- Have the ability to work well under pressure and multi-task in a fast-paced environment; and
- Bring a sense of humor and an energetic personality.
What We Offer
- You get exciting work and access to phenomenal deal flow.Over the past five years alone, we advised clients in over 2,000 VC/Angel financings (closing in excess of 7 deals every week) and hundreds of M&A transactions. We represent about 3 dozen prominent VCs, “Super Angels” and individual angels. We have advised clients on thousands of commercial and licensing deals with global enterprise players.
- You get general counsel training.We are not pigeonholed into handling solely financing or M&A work, because we operate as our clients outside GC. When matters go beyond our transactional expertise, we help our clients coordinate with our vast network of outside specialist counsel. At Silicon Legal, there is a unique opportunity to engage with clients on a deeper level and to build genuine relationships with exciting companies and investors.
- You actually have a life.Our associates and paralegals average around 1,300-1,350 hours per year. We believe that keeping associates’ and paralegals’ billable hours lower enables more responsive client service and less likelihood of burnout.
- You get competitive compensation and terrific perks.Associate pay is significantly higher than other boutiques and on par with in-house roles. We offer full employer-paid medical, vision and dental coverage, as well as 401(k) matching, commute, gym and smartphone subsidies, loan repayment assistance, in-office massages, catered meals, well-stocked kitchens and great social events.
- You work with top flight colleagues.Our team is made up of attorneys, paralegals and other professionals who were trained at Fenwick, Gunderson, Cooley, Orrick, Goodwin, WSGR, Perkins Coie, Lowenstein, DLA and others. You will be in good company with a team that thrives on working with startups, developing their practice, and expanding their networks.
- You have more career options.We are dedicated to associate development and have a clear partner track (we don’t hire lateral partners). At the same time, with your general counsel training, you will also be well-positioned to transition to in-house roles, like some of our alumni who have gone on to prominent in-house legal and business roles at Lyft, August Capital, PopSugar, SuperCell, Instacart, AppAnnie, Williams-Sonoma and others.
- You will build something that matters.You will not merely be advising entrepreneurs from the sidelines – you will be an entrepreneur. Empowered by a culture of transparency and communication, you will have the opportunity to continuously improve the firm and meaningfully impact the personal and professional lives of your teammates and clients.