Be General Counsel to the Next Big Startup!
Silicon Legal Strategy is seeking one or more 1L summer associates to work at our firm in the summer of 2023. Candidates must be current first year law students (anticipated graduation in 2025), have excellent academic credentials, demonstrate an interest in corporate transactional work, and be passionate about working with emerging companies and investors.
- Work with amazing startups: We’ve represented some of the most exciting startups including Uber, Lyft, Pinterest, Instagram, Scoot, BloomThat, StyleSeat, Docker, Expensify and TaskRabbit and served as deal counsel for great investors like Floodgate, Lightspeed, Felicis, Foundry and Cowboy Ventures.
- Get hands-on experience on a variety of practice areas: Our team is comprised of transactional generalists, operating as strategic legal counsel for our clients and advising on a wide variety of matters, from employment issues and commercial contracts to financings and M&A transactions. You will have a chance to work on many different legal and business issues facing companies and investors today.
- Learn from a broad range of experts: We’ve developed resources and infrastructure that rival large firms (without the red tape and bureaucracy). Have a chance to interact with our vast network of outside specialist counsel and attend “lunch and learn” sessions on recent developments in privacy, employment benefits, IP and more.
- Have some fun: We have a culture that is genuinely focused on team member development and advancement, as well as providing all team members the opportunity to enjoy our lives “outside the law.” Join our team events this summer, including a Giants game, wine tasting workshop, trivia night, and more.
Former summer associates have said this about their summer with SLS:
“I felt that my summer associate position at Silicon Legal Strategy was an outstanding experience after my 1L year, especially given my interest in corporate law and representing startups. As a summer associate, I got to help draft all key financing documents for multiple venture financing rounds; prepare privacy policies and terms of service; update cap tables; and review commercial agreements for startup clients. I really valued the close-knit and collaborative culture at the firm, and the well-attended weekly social events (including a Giants game, an in-office wine tasting, and a trivia night) helped make the summer especially memorable and fun. I gained a much better understanding of the important role of a startup’s outside counsel, and my summer at SLS helped convince me to pursue a career as a corporate attorney representing startups and investors. All in all, the summer associate experience at SLS was very rewarding, and I’d highly recommend that law students with interests in transactional law, working for startups and VC investors, or representing tech companies apply here for their 1L summer job.” – 2018 summer associate, UC Berkeley, spent 2L summer at Cooley.
“At SLS I worked alongside a welcoming and diligent team to solve timely issues for both startup companies and investors. I watched issues arise in real time in the realm of employment, privacy, and negotiations between founders and investors. My summer was an equal balance of learning how to address complex matters while attending great team events with this amazing group of individuals.” – 2019 summer associate, Hastings, accepted 2L summer position at Goodwin.
- Currently planned to be 9-weeks, dates will be tailored to fit your summer schedule.
- Summer associates will earn $1,500 per week.
- To apply: Submit one compiled PDF with your resume, law school and undergraduate transcripts and a cover letter explaining why you are interested in the position by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Selected candidates will be invited for interviews late-January 2023.
- Application Deadline: Monday, January 16, 2023.